Gel-based active electrode system for high-quality EEG recordings even at higher impedances
Quick electrode preparation with direct LED feedback on the electrode
Provides an outstanding user experience for participant and researcher
Cap sizes range from infants to adults; available channel counts: 8 – 160
- Max./Min. channel counts depend on amplifier system and cap size.
- Different cap types (SubInion vs. Subtemporal), cap cuts (Caucasian vs. Asian) and cap fabrics (high comfort vs. high precision) are available.
actiCAP slim / snap: Next generation active electrode systems
The actiCAPs have been a go-to solution for reliable and flexible high-quality EEG recordings for some time. We kept on improving the design of our active electrodes and here present the latest versions: actiCAP slim and actiCAP snap.
General active electrode features
- Higher impedance recordings: Active circuits for impedance conversion are integrated directly in the actiCAP slim electrodes. Impedance conversion already at the electrode level makes it possible to achieve outstanding signal quality even with higher impedances compared to conventional passive electrodes. Hence the preparation time per electrode is reduced tremendously.
- Wide hardware compatibility: Connects to any Brain Products amplifier and a large range of EEG amplifiers from other manufacturers.
- Per-electrode LED impedance feedback: Multi-color LEDs in the electrodes indicate the impedance ranges. This makes electrode preparation very convenient and fast, since the feedback is given directly at the electrode level without the need to look at a computer screen (e.g. 64ch in approx. 10 minutes).
- Easy electrode replacement: actiCAP electrodes are very sturdy; however, in the event that an electrode fails, flawless replacement of single electrodes is possible.
Features of actiCAP slim active electrodes
- 3 times thinner: The actiCAP slim is a fully active EEG electrode with impedance conversion circuitry and multi-color LED impedance feedback scaled down by a factor of three.
- More lightweight: Less total weight and a low center of gravity reduce motion artefacts. The lower weight per electrode makes a high-density cap significantly lighter and hence more comfortable to wear.
- More robust: The new design of the electrode comes with flat pellets that are covered by the electrode housing from the sides. This protects the pellet from accidental damages.
- Easier preparation: The larger opening in the actiCAP slim makes the electrode preparation even easier. It now allows the usage of paste for long-term recordings like in sleep research!
- The lower profile (now 6 mm) of the actiCAP slim makes it ideal for TMS applications. This allows positioning of the stimulator coil very closely to the head, resulting in minimal loss of TMS pulse power. Combining actiCAP slim with our high sampling rate actiCHamp amplifier, will give you the benefit of ultra-short artefacts.
Features of actiCAP snap electrode holders
- Easy-to-use holder that further enhances usability and gives you the flexibility to mix and match electrodes with caps sizes and cap electrode arrangements.
- Allows inserting and removing actiCAP slim electrodes with just a “snap” and a minimum amount of force. Still provides firm hold, also in mobile environments.
- Different holder colors speed up the setup and prevent electrode placement errors.
- Gives the flexibility of using a single electrode bundle with different cap sizes or combining multiple bundles for one high-density electrode arrangement.
Electrode cap with embedded actiCAP slim active electrodes, i.e. electrodes are fixed to the cap and cannot be removed; therefore, one electrode set per cap (size) is needed.
Electrode cap with actiCAP snap holders and additional actiCAP slim active electrodes, i.e. electrodes are not fixed to the cap and can be removed; therefore, one electrode set can be used with various (snap) cap sizes.
Single actiCAP slim active signal electrodes
actiCAP slim electrodes are also available as single electrodes for applications, where a sensor has to be placed outside of the cap and scalp area, e.g. for EOG or EMG signal registration. They can be fixed quickly and easily with a washer and with or without a holder between the housing and the skin. Two different cable lenghts are available: 0.65 m and 1.5 m.
|actiCAP slim/snap||Technical specifications|
|Input impedance||> 200 MΩ|
|Operating frequency||DC - 5,000 Hz|
|Inherent noise (including electrode noise)||< 2 µVpp for 0.1 – 35 Hz band|
|Dynamic range||±1000 mV|
|Offset voltage||< 20 mV (incl. electrode offset) measured in 0.9% saline (NaCl)
|Height of electrode||Approx. 6 mm|
|Width of electrode||Approx. 13 mm|
|Suitable for use in MR scanner room||No|
|CE marking|| The Brain Products GmbH confirms the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) of this product according to the Directive 2014/30/ EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 February 2014 on the harmonisation of the laws of the Member States relating to electromagnetic compatibility.
The Brain Products GmbH confirms the RoHS compliance of this product according to the Directive 2011/65/EU of the European Parliament and the Council of 8 June 2011 on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment (recast published in the Official Journal of the European Union on 1 July 2011) as well as all its amendments up to and including the Commission delegated directive (EU) 2015/863 of 31 March 2015 (published in the 0fficial Journal of the European Union on 4 June 2015).
Tutorial video on actiCAP slim/snap with LiveAmp